Houston Air Conditioner & HVAC Repair Scams: How To Spot & Avoid Them
In the heat of a Houston summer, your air conditioner becomes critical for your comfort. But amidst the urgency of keeping your home cool, it’s important to be vigilant against potential scams in the HVAC repair industry.
When it comes to your AC unit, making informed decisions can save you from unnecessary expenses and headaches. Let’s explore some common HVAC repair scams and how to protect yourself against them.
Your AC is like your vehicle in that one defective part can throw off the entire operation. What you may not realize is that your unit rarely needs multiple parts for repair.
An HVAC contractor suggesting a multi-part replacement is a red flag. Unfortunately, they may be pushing for an unnecessary, costly replacement. Save yourself the hassle and go with an honest company that puts its customers first.
Your Refrigerant Needs a Recharge
If your refrigerant is low, your AC might have a leak and need repair. A shady contractor might see this as an opportunity to obtain their normal service payment without completing any work. Using this tactic puts pressure on you, the homeowner, to find a solution.
You won’t have to experience this stress when working with a trusted HVAC professional. They’ll identify the leak, discuss your options, and make the necessary repairs.
Upfront Payments or Verbal Agreements
This scam is one of the oldest in the book. A contractor arrives at your home and asks for upfront payment before performing service. If you pay them, you risk this person not completing the expected service.
Verbal agreements, along with upfront payments, are a red flag. Contractors who engage in this scam will promise certain services and then not follow through with the customer. That’s why we always recommend getting things in writing, as written agreements are essential if you need to file a complaint for any reason.
Tips To Avoid HVAC Scams
Being proactive and vigilant are some of the ways to prevent a disastrous situation with a contractor. Here are a few other tips to avoid HVAC scams in the Houston area:
- Read reviews: Why make the mistake of contacting just any random HVAC company? Take some time to explore reviews and see what previous customers are saying before reaching out.
- Get a second opinion: Sometimes, you may not see eye to eye with a particular contractor and disagree with their evaluation. In this case, a second opinion is vital.
- Ensure agreements are in writing: Even if an HVAC contractor seems friendly and knowledgeable, don’t “take their word for it.” Written contracts are binding and serve as protection for you, the customer.
- Check if your AC is still under warranty: This could save you hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars in repairs.
Why Choose Horizon Air Solutions?
At Horizon Air Solutions, you never have to worry. Our background-checked technicians are ethical and honest. We pride ourselves on exceptional service and custom solutions tailored to your home.
You can count on us for:
- Free estimates on service calls & replacements
- Service for all brands
- Upfront pricing
- Same-day service
- Financing options