Reliable Heat Pump Repair in Houston, TX
A faulty heat pump causes more than mere discomfort. It can cause your pipes to burst and send your utility bills skyrocketing. It takes just six hours for pipes to freeze in an unheated home. Exposure to icy temperatures also suppresses your body’s immune response, increasing the odds of infection. Horizon Air is available 24/7, so you’ll never have to deal with a chilly home again.
Signs That Your Heat Pump Needs Repair
A healthy heat pump ticks along without drawing attention, so if you’ve noticed something odd, your unit probably needs professional attention. Look out for a few key symptoms, including:
- Your Pump Is Coated in a Thick Coat of Ice in Winter: A thin ice coating is typical on cold days, but that coating will thicken if your pump isn’t switching into defrost mode. Ice can ruin your fins, fan blades, and compressor. These are expensive components, so it’s essential to deal with the problem promptly. Your coils will be the first component to freeze, so take a closer look. If your defrost mechanism has failed, turn off your heat pump and call Horizon Air Solutions.
- Your Unit Is Cycling Constantly: Your heat pump relies on its thermostat, filters, and blowers to prevent overheating. If any of those components are failing, your unit can short cycle. This leads to overheating, which can cause permanent damage to your compressor and motor. If you notice your indoor temperature isn’t the same as your thermostat setting, your heat anticipator probably needs to be repaired.
- You Hear Unusual Noises: Your heat pump should function silently. You might have a broken belt or loose blower blade if you hear grinding, rattling, or buzzing. Grinding is a sign of resistance, which can be devastating to many of your components, so it’s best to turn off your unit entirely and call a professional.
- Your Blower Isn’t Working: A faulty blower has several potential causes. You might need a new belt or a thermostat recalibration. If you’re lucky, your blower issue might be caused by a clogged filter. This is an easy repair that you can perform yourself. Let Horizon Air nurse your unit back to health if changing your filter doesn’t fix the problem.
- You’ve Noticed an Icy Coating in Summer: While a thin layer of ice is expected in winter, it’s always an ominous sign in the summer. Your defrost mechanism is probably faulty. This could be caused by a refrigerant leak, clogged filter, or dirty coils. It’s advisable to turn your unit off at the first sign of ice to prevent irreparable damage.
- Your Airflow Is Weak: Several malfunctioning parts could cause poor airflow. Something might be blocking your vents or backing up your drain line. This can occur when the area has become pressurized or obstructed, but a bad installation can be damaging. If your ductwork is oversized and your vents are too small, your air pressure will be restricted. Your duct runs might also be disconnected or blocked. A duct leak can affect the quality of your air. It’s crucial to change your filter once a month, but call the professionals if regular attention isn’t helping. One of the most common causes of heat pump woes is aging. Your unit has a finite life span of about 15 years, so frequent breakdowns are normal for old age.
Choose Horizon Air for Heat Pump Repair in Houston, TX
If you’re searching for an experienced team for heat pump repair, look no further than the industry-leading technicians at Horizon Air. When you call us for service, we will arrive promptly, assess your issue thoroughly, and offer a comprehensive explanation of what we find and the repairs needed. We offer upfront pricing and will never surprise you with hidden fees on your final bill!